Topic - Uk and US film industry
Aspect - Production
Viewpoint - Dominated by global institutions - big six , completely control film industry
introduction - To what extent do you agree ?
Films that the essay answer is based on - British = Dredd
American = Star trek
- Box office figures
- budget to make the film
- how long it took from green light to being on screen
- Big six - what other things that the company that made the film own
- Comparison of the companies that made the film
- Release Patterns
- How the film is made
- Use of technical terminology i.e " film buffs "
- Refer back to the question and support answer with lots of facts
- Dont waffle , stay relevant to the question
To what extent is media production dominated by Paramount ( star trek ) or any of the big six , which sell their films and let out their services/equipment ( stages etc ) in comparison to film 4 and dredd ?
Star Trek Facts
- Director for Star Trek is JJ Abrams
- Budget $190,000,000 (estimated)
- Gross from USA = $228,756,232 but overall world wide gross = $466,978,661 which proves we need to release films all across america .
- Genres Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi
- The green light for Star Trek was June 2009
- The run time for star trek was 132 mins , which is the normal run time for normal Hollywood movies , compared to dredd which is 90 mins and could be a factor as to why Star Trek is better.
- Stark Trek was a territorial saturation
- Paramount Pictures (presents)
- Skydance Productions (presents)
- Bad Robot (production)
- Distributors - paramount is whats known is whats know as a vertically integrated company as they control all aspects of production and distribution .
Filming was done on location in Los Angeles , California, and around the area at the Lawrence livermore national laboratory in Livermore. Additional locations included Paramount Studios in Hollywood, Sony Pictures Studios in Culver city, the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove and the Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. Some shots were made in Iceland .
Genre - Action, Crime, Sci Fi
Where was it filmed - Cape Town Film Studios, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Budget - $50,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend -
$6,278,491 (USA) (21 September 2012)
$13,401,683 (USA) (26 October 2012)
Run time -
95 min (the longer the run time the more it has cost to make, this is why Hollywood films are usually longer than other film companies)
Production companies - DNA Films, IM Global, Peach Trees
Director - Pete Travis
Distribution - It was a limited national release
If you compare dredd to a film like Disney’s ‘Brave’, Dredd’s post production
included the filmmakers experimented with the visuals of Mega-City One,
including the design and positioning of the city's tower blocks, to create the
impression that the city had risen out of the remains of another. The outcrops
and appendages were added to break up the buildings' straight lines. Garland, a
novelist-turned-screenwriter was in charge of editing Dredd, with the help of
other producers Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich they may have had to do
reshoots as well.